Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Crazytown

I got a text from a friend last week that said, "Are you still in Crazytown?"  I laughed out loud, because that is exactly where we are!  Two weeks ago we said goodbye to the house that has sheltered our family for six years. Definition of bittersweet: selling a place you've called home, even when selling is a good thing.

I described in a previous post the way God worked out the details, and I remain so grateful.  But, I have to be honest, we've been on a roller coaster ever since.  I spent a good while totally stressed out both by having no idea where we will be living and the stress of living like this:



But, the good news is God is faithful, and we have found our new home, and I am so excited!  Prepare yourselves for loads of decorating/furniture placement/crafty posts.

This whole thing has reminded me how hard it can be to find the balance between a healthy passion and an unhealthy obsession.  Lately I've been out of control, stranded at the Crazytown bus station.  It's so easy to think, "Well this house thing is just so important.  It's okay to think about this every second of every hour of every day because if I don't we might not have a home and the kids will be confused and I just might die of the sensation of not knowing the future!"  Can you relate?  I might be alone on this one, but I don't think so.  And I think its a normal reaction to transition.  The problem is, I was making my homelessness into an idol.  I had replaced reliance on God with obsessing about the future, the very thing He tells us not to do!

And, the more I obsessed I became, the more I had trouble hearing God's voice.  I got discouraged, felt more stressed out, and then finally realized I could actually hear something through the turmoil and angst and cray-cray.  It was God saying  "slow your roll and focus on Me." You understand, I am not mocking the God of the universe (would He say "slow your roll?"), but that's the sensation I was getting.  To put it another way, "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:14)

Fortunately He didn't keep us waiting for long.  His timing was perfect, with a price drop coming on the same day we fell in love with our house.  Thank you, Jesus!

One more thought I to share: I know God wants us to enjoy our blessings.  I'd just like to find that balance between enjoying God's blessings, and displacing Him with those same blessings.  Leave a comment if you feel me!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I agree! It is far too easy to make my house and my housekeeping into an idol - and to let them define my worth. I'm currently (stuck) at home with a newborn and two preschoolers, and I feel the Lord showing me what really gives me worth is nothing that comes from me but all that comes from Jesus. Whether I am productive or not, whether my house is clean or not... It is my contentment in Him as enough that gives Him glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jennifer! You are in the trenches and it's wonderful that you have this insight at what I know is a trying season of life. I have been trying to be content in Him as well, every time I think, "Oh I wish I was in my own home!" Trying to remember that HE is my home!

      Delete

Your comment makes my day!