Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Whole 30 Recap

Heya Friends!

Last Thursday was Day 30 of my Whole 30 elimination diet, and WOW did the time move slowly!  Ha! Maybe the slowest 30 days ever.

Photo: Lexi's Clean Kitchen
One of my faves!  Loaded Paleo Breakfast Hash

So, the Whole 30 was hard.  But it was so worth it, and here are all the reasons why:

  • I found out I am sensitive to foods in the nightshade family, and if I don't eat them I don't get migraine auras including extreme, crippling fatigue.  As opposed to having that fatigue 2-3x a week, yeah...big life changer.
  • Hubs (who very supportively also did the plan) and I both learned a lot about our eating habits that are habitual...meaning, we eat out of habit or routine rather than hunger.  Learning these things is so helpful because being aware of your negative or unhealthy patterns can prevent you from falling into them again.
  • My appetite shrunk.  I always ate when I was hungry, on this plan, yet I filled up faster and with less food.  I snacked less, and was more satisfied with the food I did eat.
  • I learned I can live without A LOT of things that I thought were indispensable.  Yes, I will be going back to dairy in my morning chai, but do I need cheese three or four times a day?  Absolutely nope.
  • I learned to love some new things: coconut oil, ghee, and various paleo recipes.  Rediscovered love for other things: mandarins, olives, bacon.  Glorious nitrite-free bacon.
  • I lost 9 pounds.
  • Wait what?  I lost 9 pounds!  In 30 days!  Yes, on Day 34 (after reintroducing gluten, cheese, and alcohol) I had gained 2.5 pounds back.  But seriously, it was the easiest weight loss ever, since I wasn't ever hungry.
As I mentioned, I have reintroduced some foods and am slowly bringing others back, watching for symptoms (especially of the headache variety) as I go.  So far, I haven't found any other triggers (besides nightshades) and I am grateful for that!  But my diet will not be going back to exactly how it was, either.

Would I recommend the Whole 30?  If you have a medical condition and think changing your diet might help, yes.  Otherwise, you might be able to apply some of the ideas from It Starts with Food without going through the whole thing... but then again, it's only 30 days, right?!?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment makes my day!