Monday, February 25, 2013

Six Principles of Simple, Beautiful Decorating

The other day I was at a friend's house and was reminded of a few never-fail decorating principles, so I thought I would take you on a little tour of her house and share why I love her style.

1) Use Your Vertical Space



So many of us have these tall, tall ceilings and they are hard to decorate around!  The lady of this house has maximized the vertical space by hanging her curtains high, using large-scale accessories in her niches, and using large-scale furniture which won't drown in such a big space.  It is simple, but its genius.

2) Go Big for Impact


The accessories in this room are kept to a minimum, but the scale of that mirror is so dramatic that we don't need anything else to entertain us visually.  A single large wall-hanging can anchor a room and give it a presence that multiple smalls just can't.  And I am saying this as a BIG fan of gallery walls.

3) Keep Your Surfaces Clear 



These pictures say it all.  I keep a tray on my kitchen island with a bunch of crap a plant, a candle, and a fruit bowl on it.  I am reconsidering.

4) Buy the Best You Can Afford


We've heard this rule before, but my friend reminded me that you can do it without breaking the bank.  She got these sofas (and other furniture throughout) at Transit Damaged Freight.  She had to wait on delivery, but she saved a bundle for high-quality, high-style furniture that will last.

5) Color Your Kid Spaces



I can't stand the cuteness!  And by the way, what a genius solution for the roof of the playhouse!  The handy husband in the family build that cute playhouse as well as a stage in another area of the playroom.  I am swooning over all this cuteness!  Check out these hooks which another friend painted:


I love that in this family with three girls, the walls are blue!  The room is still girly and sweet, with lots of pink and lime green brought in with fabrics.  My friend tells me it took several tries to get the right blue for this much wall-space, but the effort paid off!

6) Shop Consignment!




But, once again, cuteness doesn't have to break the bank!  Check out these adorable bunny accessories, especially that chandelier, which is so unique and just precious.  There were also two framed prints and beautiful heavy drapes (no pictures of those...why, Michelle, why???)...all of which my friend snagged at a consignment sale for--prepare yourself--$200.  Are you kidding me???  She says it is her favorite consignment purchase of all time.  I think it's mine, also;)

In case you picked up on it, there are also a few French themes in this house...notice the Eiffel Towers?  The husband is French and no, that has absolutely nothing to do with my love for this home.  I will deny it all day long.  (However, I am going to go dig up my Eiffel Tower pictures right now and put one on my wall,  Just sayin').

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!! I'm so inspired to go minimalist! I'm crazy in love with that bunny chandelier! And we are heading to Transit Damaged Freight asap!!!!

    Thanks Michelle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love! I am glad you were as inspired as I was by this girl's house, and let me know if you "need" an extra person on your outing to Transit Damaged Freight, lol;)

      Delete
  2. Michelle, thank you for revealing to me the genius in my wife's decorating style. She is wonderful in so many ways and do it all without breaking the bank. I am so thankful for her.
    The lucky French guy!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment makes my day!