Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Our Little Towns


There's a great post I stumbled upon yesterday over at Simple Homeschool called Newtown as I Know It.  It's about Newtown, the way it should be remembered.  

Some of you know I lived for six years in Blacksburg, Virginia and went to Virginia Tech.  I often tell people that's where I went to school, and then have to talk about the shooting tragedy there.  I know the people of Newtown now face having their town inextricably linked to this horrible tragedy, and I identify with Jamie wanting to share what is beautiful about her adopted hometown.  

I Am Adam Lanza's Mother

There's been another heart-wrenching piece published over the last few days about the failures of our mental health systems.  This one was tough for me.  When I was an attorney I worked for a while with troubled youth, and immediately recognized my young, hurting friends in the profile of this woman's son and possibly in Adam Lanza, and who knows how many other young people. 

There's a lot to say about what happened.  And a lot that just can't be expressed.  I've been avoiding most of it, but I wanted to share these little bits.  

As for the loss of the children, I can't even begin to go there.  I have a child in Kindergarten and spent the whole weekend in denial, and the last day or so in pain for the parents of those babies.  Praying for them, for a peace that surpasses all understanding.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment makes my day!