Monday, October 11, 2010

That Mommy's European Vacation

I'm back to blogging this week (yay!) and bringing you along on my European vacation.  In case you're new here (nice to have you!), I just got back from a 10-day trip to Belgium and France.  My Mother-in-Law, aka Meems, was going for work and brought me along with her! We stayed a few extra days to enjoy some sightseeing in Belgium before going on to Paris for three days.


We started our fabulous European vacation in Antwerp, an ancient port city in Belgium.  We were there because Meems's job is to buy diamonds.

Photo: Shelley's Jewelry
I know, I am jealous too.  She says its not as glamorous as it sounds, but I'd be willing to test out that hypothesis;)  Did you know that most of the world's diamonds come through Antwerp?  She spent a couple of long days finding exactly the diamonds her customers ordered, at great prices to boot.  If you want to pre-order a diamond for next time, let us know!

In the meantime, we got to meander through charming streets...


...and quaint little alleyways.


We got to see fabulous architecture...


...and even have fun at the flea market!

That's green tea we're drinking.
We behaved like Belgians and saved the beer for after 9:00 a.m.

One day while Meems was working I meandered over to Antwerp Cathedral.

A view of the cathedral from Groenplats.

There are similar cathedrals all over Europe, but that didn't stop me from being spellbound by this one.  I *love* the whitewashed interior--it was perfection.


Check out that floor!  So cool.
And while most people were snapping pics of the statue of Mary, there I was acting like a fool and taking pictures of the walls:

This medallion design in gold was repeated on several walls.  I totally see some use for this in my home someday.

Its hard to see in this picture, but they are removing some of that beautiful old plaster to find even prettier, and extremely old, paintings underneath.  This one is an image of some kind of animal.  

Later in our trip we walked by the cathedral at night, and I was so glad because I forgot to take a picture of its facade during the day.  Isn't it blurry?  I mean, gorgeous?


I knew I'd be in Antwerp for six days, but I definitely underestimated how wonderful that time would be.  Perhaps I was a wee bit blinded by the chance to go to Paris at the end of our trip, but I truly didn't expect to love Antwerp like I did.  It is a beautiful city.  Even better, the people there are so sweet and welcoming.  And, of course, it doesn't hurt that there is plenty of chocolate, waffles, and beer!  Join me tomorrow when I will show you some of the above. Makes me want a waffle, just thinking about it!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you had an amazing time. I am totally jealous, here you get carted off to Eurupe on a diamond buying adventure and my best friend gets a free trip to Hawaii so she can keep another friend company on a business trip and meanwhile my husband is away on a three-month-long adventure touring national parks for work. Clearly I chose the wrong career path. I'm glad you had fun and got a well-deserved break! Antwerp sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I post on your blog am I supposed to say, "Dear Mommy?"
    Anyway the cathedral is awesome - thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment makes my day!