Thursday, November 19, 2015

Seeking Beauty in...Small Things

The greenway near my house.
Recently I was here talking about the way God has been calling me to seek beauty in the everyday. You might be wondering what exactly that means, beyond noticing actual beautiful objects in the world around us.  Yes, I am into beauty for its aesthetic value, or else I wouldn't get all foolish over Target's Christmas section.  Gorgeous.

But what I really mean when I talk about seeking beauty in the everyday is this: catching a glimpse of the holy.  Catching a glimpse of God's face here on earth, experiencing his peace in the midst of turmoil, turning my ear toward his voice.

How?  Well I have quite a few thoughts about that, too many for one blog post.  But for now I just want to talk about seeking beauty in the small things.  Most of our lives are spent in small moments. Preparing meals, caring for babies, cleaning house, working at jobs we may or may not love.  What I want to say is that these moments, be they boring or irritating or simply required, are the gist of our lives.  I'm one to fall into the trap of waiting on that next big vacation, promotion, or celebration...looking so much forward to it that I discount what's right in front of me.  But God didn't place me in one long vacation of a life.  He placed me in a life of small moments, and every single one is brimming with potential.

So I'm trying: when I fold the laundry, to enjoy the smell of it.  The accomplishment of another load washed and folded.  The feel of the fabric in my hands.

I'm trying: when the kids are a wall of noise, to revel in their giggles instead of focusing on their volume.

I'm trying: when the dog is bonkers and needs a walk, to notice what's beautiful about that walk. Appreciate the exercise.  Enjoy the repetition of the same old route.

I'm trying: when everyone wants to eat yet again and usually just when I cleaned up the kitchen, to at least give a brief "thank you" that we have plentiful food and multiple ways to prepare it.

I suppose this has something to do with mindfulness.  Lots of people have written about that practice. My specific inspiration is found in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, which says "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  Always means always.  Every moment, big or small.  Every moment, happy or sad.  Every moment, pained or healthy.  (That last one is a real thorn in my side.  Also cleaning toilets.  I hate cleaning toilets.)

So if you give this a try today please let me know your thoughts about it.  And if you figure out how to rejoice in cleaning toilets, you must let me know!

 photo e0bcbc63-97e4-4f3b-adae-03bfc854ae09_zpsb8a65301.jpg
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment makes my day!